Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lifelong Learning: Financial Matters

Can you speak mortgage-backed securities?

I've been stretching myself over the last year and a half, learning all that I can about the economy. I did not take Economics in college or high school, so this study is definitely self-directed and personally generated.

Understanding about "toxic assets," "shadow banks," "credit default swaps," and the US Government's "TARP" plan has been pulling me in directions that I could have never imagined more than eighteen months ago. Every night I put on my iPod Classic, drifting off to sleep listening to American Public Media's "Marketplace" with Kai Ryssdal.

What I have learned relates directly to Chaos Theory and how our world is truly interconnected now. When George H.W. Bush described his New World Order, perhaps he meant this world that we are in right now where when a folks in a neighborhood in Las Vegas default on their risky loans, then workers in Finland might find themselves out of a job.

Our world, this brave new world, is so woven together that we must figure it out fast, or get left behind.

What are ways that you are stretching yourself beyond what you know?



Paddy Hirsch--"leaves all of us badly needing a drink."